Welcome spring with this virtual/in-person hybrid event May 6th – 8th! The 2021 Birds & Bees Festival offers virtual presentations at the top of the hour throughout the festival, in-person guided nature walks in Arrow Rock on May 8th, and some amazing keynote speakers, including:
- Mary Phillips, Senior Director, Garden For Wildlife with the National Wildlife Federation
- Scott Hoffman Black, Executive Director of the Xerces Society
- Doug Tallamy, entomologist and author of the revolutionary books Bringing Nature Home and Nature’s Best Hope
See the full agenda below.
- A self-guided scavenger hunt, in Arrow Rock or wherever you may be. Prizes include quality optics for kids, bird feeders for families, and bird-friendly coffee for adults.
- A raffle for an Arrow Rock experience for four people – lodging at Borgman’s B&B, dining at the J. Huston Tavern, a historic tour by Friends of Arrow Rock tram, and a Lyceum Theatre show!
- Virtual exhibitors – learn about some of Missouri’s premier conservation organizations and vendors!
Saturday evening speaker Doug Tallamy, author of Bringing Nature Home and Nature’s Best Hope. Arrow Rock’s socially distanced Garden Market takes place outside J Huston’s Tavern on May 8. Come join us!
Festival History – The Arrow Rock Birds & Bees Festival was started by the Missouri River Bird Observatory (MRBO) in 2019 in partnership with Experience Arrow Rock and in conjunction with the 17-year-old Arrow Rock Garden Market. The Birds & Bees Festival’s goal is to raise awareness for animals, plants, and nature in general and provide a fun, family-oriented experience in the surroundings of Arrow Rock.
Despite a cancellation in 2020, both are intended to be annual events. Continuing unpredictability in the status of the Covid-19 pandemic has resulted in MRBO planning a hybrid Birds and Bees event for 2021. That is, we will have a wide variety of online offerings coupled with small, Covid-safe, in-person events in Arrow Rock. We’ll be using a virtual event platform to deliver a fun, seamless experience for attendees at home with presentations, games, social opportunities, and more.
You must purchase a Festival Registration ticket to attend the virtual event. Tickets are available HERE, and if you are planning to be in Arrow Rock, you can purchase tickets to the guided tours in the add-ons listed here (these will be very limited to keep groups small!). Anyone attending from anywhere can purchase raffle tickets though too. To complete your purchases click the register button at the bottom after you have added registration and any desired add-ons. If you are unsure of what we are offering, scroll on to see the schedule of events and the list of speakers. And thank our sponsors!